Friday, 24 August 2012

Monthly food budget

As part of our new, mortgage busting budget I have set the food budget element at £250 to include food, drink, toiletries, cleaning stuff and pet food (for two cats).  I have been refining the way I tackle the monthly shopping as it is a million times more difficult with a little one to consider.  What is working for us at the moment is this:

  • One large online shop to include all the essentials to last the month.  Using mysupermarket.co.uk the cheapest supermarket for us has been ASDA for the last two months.
  • Weekly (ish) top up shops usually from Morrisons or Lidl depending what we need.
This month the 'big shop' cost £144 and I've done one top up shop at Lidl which was £13.  I'm happy that with three weeks left I've got £93 and fairly full cupboards!  Hopefully I can keep up the good work when I'm back at work (5 weeks left...) as the meal planning can be a little time consuming.

M
x

1 comment:

  1. This is a great start.

    Really go for it! Menu plans etc..

    Then you can put the savings towards something worthwhile.

    Looking forward to your posts.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete